This is a news story from Australia where doctors in a Queensland hospital used a case of vodka to save an Italian tourist being treated for poisoning.
The 24-year-old man "had ingested a large amount of the poisonous substance ethylene glycol, found in antifreeze, which can cause renal failure and is often fatal."
The doctors administered pharmaceutical-grade alcohol, which works as an antidote to the poison, until their supplies ran out.
Dr Gelperowicz said:
"We quickly used all the available vials of 100 per cent alcohol and decided the next best way to get alcohol into the man's system was by feeding him spirits through a naso-gastric tube,"
Apparently the hospital administrators were "very understanding when told the reason for buying the case of vodka."
I'm not sure they will be quite as understanding when it comes to the Christmas period and there seems to be a 600% increase in poisonings of this type requiring this exact same treatment.
- Admin: "Are you sure Doctor?"
- Doctor: "Oh yes. Trust me, it's the only way."
- Admin: "But 40 cases Doctor?"
- Doctor: "Of course! Well if I'm going to the Cash and Carry to get my unusually large amount of peanuts and crisps, it makes sense to buy in bulk wouldn't you say? I'm only thinking of the hospital budget."
For the source story: news.com.au
On a serious note; It appeared that the man ingested the poisonous substance in an apparent attempt to commit suicide/self harm.
The following are some useful links if you yourself sometimes have suicidal feelings or you want to read more about the warning signs for friends or loved ones of yours.
- Samaritans (confidential non-judgemental emotional support, 24 hours a day) - UK & Ireland
- Befrienders (31,000 volunteers in almost 40 countries) - Worldwide
- PAPYRUS (Prevention of young suicide) - UK
- RaPSS (Response and Prevention in Student Suicide) - UK
- Metanoia.org (Worth a read)
- 1-800-SUICIDE (Call any time, day or night) - US